Deciding which dentist to entrust with your oral health is not a decision to be made lightly. Your Santa Monica dental professional will have a profound impact on your health and well-being, so it pays to choose wisely. Ideally, you will want to select a professional you feel comfortable enough to develop a long-term relationship with. Having one quality dentist over a longer period of time allows your dentist to become familiar with your needs and allows you to work with your dentist to develop a plan of action for your teeth and gums.
If you want to find a great dentist, consider asking yourself:
- What are my dentist’s qualifications? Where did my dentist study? How long has he or she been in practice? Does he or she have any areas of expertise? Does my dentist belong to any professional organizations? Look for dentists who have expertise in the area you are most interested in. For example, if you hope to whiten your teeth, look for a professional with cosmetic dentistry experience. Beyond that, look for someone with plenty of experience and professional membership.
- Are other patients happy with my Santa Monica dentist? Your dentist should be able to put you in touch with past patients who are happy with the care they have received.
- How convenient is my dentist for my schedule? Can my dentist schedule convenient appointments for me? Is the office easy to reach? Make sure that going to your dentist is not too much of a hassle; you need to go at least twice a year.
- What are some of the intangibles like? Is the office clean and neat? Are the staff professional? These can indicate the level of effort your dentist puts into his or her practice.
- What is communication like? Has my medical and dental history been recorded and placed in a permanent file? Communication is very important to the quality of care you receive. Your dentist should listen carefully to your concerns and should explain procedures and care well. He or she should also keep track of information about your dental and medical history so that possible drug interactions and possible problems can be averted.
- How concerned is my dentist with my overall health? Does the dentist explain what I must do to prevent dental health problems? Does he or she provide dental health instruction, or does he or she simply clean and tell me to return in six months? A good dentist is pro-active and helps you to stay healthy.
If you are looking for a great dentist, contact us at West LA Dental today. Our qualified, professional team has all the attributes of a winning combination. We can help keep your teeth and gums healthy!